Missing 3-Year-Old Boy Who Was Found Alive Says A Bear Kept Him Safe In The Woods

Missing 3-Year-Old Boy Who Was Found Alive Says A Bear Kept Him Safe In The Woods

No one can prove it didn't happen.

Ever heard the phrase 'innocent until proven guilty'? Well, there's another one that goes around the theme of "true story until discredited". While that's not exactly the most rational way to go about finding out the truth but this story is pretty incredible at the same time. 3-year-old Casey Hathway went missing last year and only he knows what happened during those three days. He was found frozen cold but still alive in the woods of Craven County, North Carolina. After the 3-year-old recovered, he recounted his amazing experience where a bear actually kept him company in the wild. 



"He made a comment about having a friend while he was in the woods -- his friend was a bear," Maj. David McFadyen with the Craven County Sheriff's Office told CNN Monday. "In the emergency room he started talking about what happened in the woods and he said he had a friend that was a bear with him while he was in the woods." According to McFadyen, there are several bears in the woodlands of Craven County, but they haven't been able to prove that one of them was indeed with Casey. At any rate, if the boy's story is true, the bear was there to comfort him during the three days he was missing.



"We are very pleased he had that type of comfort. There were very brutal conditions out there. The first night it dropped down to 20 degrees, the second night we had 2 inches of rain," he said. Due to his injuries, the 3-year-old boy will have to undergo a forensic psychological exam this week, McFadyen said. As of now, the authorities are allowing Casey time to recover and settle in with his family after the traumatic experience. "He has not been interviewed yet about what happened, he's a 3-year-old little boy," McFadyen said. "Until we do the forensic exam we won't have a definite idea yet."



WTVD reported that Casey was playing with two other relatives in his great-grandmother's backyard, but didn't come inside when the others did. His family searched for him for close to an hour before they decided to call 911 and report the incident, according to Craven County Sheriff Chip Hughes. "He was walking in the woods back there and we can't find him," his great-grandmother told the 911 dispatcher. "The other ones come through the house but left him there and he walked off somewhere and we can't find him." Hughes added that his team was concerned about the "extreme cold" as the temperature dipped to near freezing, but they found him alive. If the boy's story about the bear is true, then it's truly a moment for us to reflect on the sentience of animals, even out there in the wild. The bear could have easily killed and even eaten the 3-year-old but surprisingly 'kept him company'. 



"It was folks giving us tips and leads," Hughes said. Meanwhile, everyone else was also very concerned about the rescue and were reassured when they found the boy. "We hit every one of them immediately and it paid off." "The terrain was woods. It was thick in places," said Max Dudley, a volunteer. "Some places it wasn't that thick, but we took our time and you see the next person, and you look and you look and you look." "It's heartbreaking. I have two children so I can only imagine what the family is going through and we're a small community so you don't really expect anything bad to happen here," said Jonathan Ipock, youth pastor of New Haven Church.


Recommended for you